Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
Blogs
POSTED ON Friday, 04.11.2014 / 10:43 AM

The Dallas Stars can clinch the final playoff spot in the Western Conference Friday night. A win and they are in. A loss - either in regulation or beyond regulation - and the Phoenix Coyotes live to fight another day, specifically Saturday when they host San Jose.

The Coyotes lost last night in Nashville, 2-0. It was their sixth straight loss (0-3-3) and they remained two points behind the Stars with two games remaining for both teams, including a head-to-head matchup in the regular season finale on Sunday.

The Stars' magic number to clinch that playoff spot is two points. Any combination of points gained by the Stars or lost by the Coyotes adding up to two puts the Stars into the playoffs.

The Stars can win the race Friday by picking up two points against the Blues. That would give them 91 points. The Coyotes could tie the Stars at 91 points by winning Saturday against San Jose and then beating the Stars in regulation on Sunday, but the Stars would still claim the spot based on the regulation/overtime wins (ROW) tiebreaker, which they currently lead 35-30.

The Blues come to town Friday on the second night of a back-to-back. They lost 4-2 in Minnesota Thursday night. It was their fourth straight loss and dropped them to second place in the Central Division behind Colorado, which won 4-2 in Vancouver.

The Avalanche and Blues are tied at 111 points, but Colorado holds the top spot in the Central because it owns the regulation/overtime wins (ROW) tiebreaker, 47-43. Colorado plays at San Jose Friday. Whoever finishes second in the Central division gets Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

The Avalanche and Blues both trail Anaheim by one point for the best overall record in the Western Conference. Which ever team gets that will be guaranteed home ice in every series it plays.

What happens if ...

What happens if the Stars don't win vs. the Blues?

If the Stars lose in overtime or a shootout against the Blues: The Stars would clinch if Phoenix were to lose in either regulation or beyond regulation Saturday vs. San Jose. In other words, Phoenix would need to win against San Jose Saturday to stay alive and make that final game between the Stars and Coyotes the deciding factor.

If the Stars were to lose in regulation vs. the Blues: The Stars would clinch if Phoenix loses in regulation Saturday vs. the Sharks. Phoenix would need at least one point against San Jose on Saturday to stay alive. Obviously, a win would keep them alive as well and bring it down to that final game between the two teams.

Playoff chances

The Stars' playoff chances were back up after Phoenix's loss Thursday night.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report gives the Stars an 86.3 percent chance of making the playoffs. Phoenix is at 13.7 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars an 85.6 percent chance of getting into the postseason. Phoenix has a 14.4 percent chance.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Colorado

80 52 21 7 111 47 35 W 4-2 @ VAN @SJS
2 x-St. Louis 80 52 21 7 111 43 63 L 4-2 @ MIN @DAL
3

x-Chicago

80 46 19 15 107 40 53   @WSH
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

y-Anaheim

80 52 20 8 112 50 55    
2

x-San Jose

80 49 22 9 107 39 44   vs. COL
3

x-Los Angeles

81 46 28 7 99 38 33 W 3-0 @ EDM  
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Minnesota

81 43 26 12 98 35 5 W 4-2 vs. STL  
2

Dallas

80 39 30 11 89 35 5   vs. STL
3

Phoenix

80 36 29 15 87 30 -15 L 2-0 @ NSH  
x - clinched playoff spot
y - clinched division

Current Western Conference playoff matchups

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round. The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals. The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Under the new format, the Stars would be in the Pacific Division playoffs if the postseason started today. Here are the current matchups.

Pacific Division

Anaheim vs. Dallas
San Jose vs. Los Angeles

Central Division

Colorado vs. Minnesota
St. Louis vs. Chicago

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

Points

89

87

ROW

35

30

Games Remaining

2

2

Home

1

2

Road

1

0

Apr 11

vs. STL

 

Apr 12

 

vs. SJS

Apr 13

@ PHX

vs. DAL

|
|
|
POSTED ON Thursday, 04.10.2014 / 10:54 AM

The Stars have two games left on their schedule and they still hold a two point lead over Phoenix for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Coyotes have one game in hand, which they play tonight in Nashville. It's the final playoff spot still up for grabs in the NHL after the final spots in the Eastern Conference were locked up last night.

Despite last night's loss, the Stars are still in control of their own fate. They have the lead in the race and have already wrapped up the first tiebreaker, which is regulation/overtime wins (ROW). But the loss allowed Phoenix to regain control of its own destiny again.

The Stars' magic number remains at four points. Any combination of four points gained by the Stars or lost by the Coyotes and the Stars would clinch a playoff spot. The Stars could have cut that magic number down with points last night, but they didn't and now the focus shifts to what happens with the Coyotes in Nashville.

The Coyotes have lost five straight games, and what's kept them alive is that they have picked up points in three of those losses (0-2-3) and that the Stars have dropped a couple of games in regulation. While the Coyotes have control of their fate again, they need at least one point tonight to maintain it. A regulation loss Thursday night and Dallas could eliminate them as soon as Friday.

The Coyotes come into tonight's game after three days off. Goaltender Mike Smith, who has missed the last seven games with a lower body injury, is practicing but doesn't appear ready to play yet.

Anaheim defeated San Jose, 5-2, Wednesday to clinch the Pacific Division. The Ducks also moved ahead of St. Louis by one point for the best record in the Western Conference. With Anaheim clinching the division, it means that San Jose and Los Angeles will meet in the first round of the playoffs.

Chicago defeated Montreal in overtime. The Blackhawks pulled to within two points of Colorado for second place in the Central Division.

Tonight's other games

St. Louis plays at Minnesota. The Blues have a chance to surpass the Ducks and move back into the top spot in the Western Conference. The Blues are also trying to hold off Colorado for the Central Division lead. The Avs, who play at Vancouver Thursday, are two points behind the Blues.

The East

Columbus clinched a playoff spot in the East with its win over the Stars last night. Detroit secured a spot as well, meaning that all eight spots in the Eastern Conference have been claimed. The only question now is seeding. The eight teams heading to the post season in the East are Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Tampa Bay, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Detroit and Columbus.

Playoff chances

The Stars' playoff chances dropped some after Wednesday night's loss.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report gives the Stars a 70.2 percent chance of securing a playoff spot. Phoenix is at 29.8 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars a 69.5 percent chance of getting into the playoffs. Phoenix is at 30.5 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 79 52 20 7 111 43 65   @ MIN
2

x-Colorado

79 51 21 7 109 46 33   @ VAN
3

x-Chicago

80 46 19 15 107 40 53 W 3-2 (OT) vs. MTL  
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

y-Anaheim

80 52 20 8 112 50 55 W 5-2 vs. SJS  
2

x-San Jose

80 49 22 9 107 39 44 L 5-2 @ ANA  
3

x-Los Angeles

80 45 28 7 97 37 30 L 4-3 (SO) @ CGY @ EDM
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Minnesota

80 42 26 12 96 34 3   vs. STL
2

Dallas

80 39 30 11 89 35 5 L 3-1 vs. CBJ  
3

Phoenix

79 36 28 15 87 30 -13   @ NSH
x - clinched playoff spot
y - clinched division

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Dallas would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals. The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Minnesota would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

Points

89

87

ROW

35

30

Games Remaining

2

3

Home

1

2

Road

1

1

Apr 10

 

@ NSH

Apr 11

vs. STL

 

Apr 12

 

vs. SJS

Apr 13

@ PHX

vs. DAL

|
|
|
POSTED ON Wednesday, 04.09.2014 / 10:00 AM

The Dallas Stars' push to the playoffs took another step forward with their 3-2 shootout win over Nashville Tuesday night and Phoenix's 4-3 overtime loss at Columbus. The Stars now have a two point lead over the Coyotes for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference with three games remaining for both teams.

A two point lead is more than a two point lead for the Stars. That's because Phoenix has to make up those two points and another one to surpass the Stars in the standings because Dallas owns the regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker (ROW) if the two teams end up tied.

The Stars' magic number to clinch a playoff spot is four. Any combination of four points gained by the Stars or lost by the Coyotes will put the Stars in the playoffs for the first time since 2008. For example, the Stars’ magic number heading into Tuesday night was seven. They picked up two points and Phoenix lost one, dropping their magic number to four. If the Stars win tonight against Columbus, it drops to two. If they lose in overtime or a shootout, it will be three. If they fall in regulation to the Blue Jackets, it remains at four.

But there is still hockey to be played. The Stars path to get there isn't easy. They play Columbus Wednesday. It will be the Stars' fourth game in five nights and coach Lindy Ruff said Tuesday that fatigue in the team's play has been evident recently. Columbus is playing under some tough scheduling as well. They'll be playing the second night of a back-to-back with travel and this will be their fifth game in seven nights. Columbus is trying to clinch a playoff spot, so they'll be as motivated as the Stars. And Columbus will start the game with a 1-0 lead due to it being the completion of the game that was suspended on March 10.

Phoenix, which has now lost five games in a row (0-2-3), doesn't play againt until Thursday when they take on the Predators in Nashville. The Predators were eliminated from the playoff race with the loss to Dallas Tuesday night.

Minnesota rallied to beat Boston in a shootout, and clinched the first wild card spot in the West.

The Central Division is getting interesting. St. Louis lost to Washington Tuesday and Colorado defeated Edmonton. The Avalanche are now just two points behind the Blues for the top spot in the Central. The winner of the division avoids a first round matchup with Chicago and will play the second wild team, which right now is Dallas.

Tonight's other games

Anaheim hosts San Jose. The Ducks are three points ahead of the Sharks for first place in the Pacific Division and only one point behind St. Louis for first overall in the West.

Chicago plays at Montreal. The Blackhawks are four points behind Colorado for second in the Central, but the Avalanche own the ROW tiebreaker.

Playoff chances

The Stars' playoff chances went up after their win and Phoenix's OT loss at Columbus.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report gives the Stars an 84.1 percent chance of getting into the playoffs. Phoenix is 15.9 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars an 83.9 percent chance. Phoenix is 16.1 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 79 52 20 7 111 43 65 L 4-1 vs. WSH  
2

x-Colorado

79 51 21 7 109 46 33 W 4-1 @ EDM  
3

x-Chicago

79 45 19 15 105 39 52   vs. MTL
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

79 51 20 8 110 49 52   vs. SJS
2

x-San Jose

79 49 21 9 107 39 47   @ ANA
3

x-Los Angeles

79 45 28 6 96 37 31   @ CGY
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Minnesota

80 42 26 12 96 34 3 W 4-3 (SO) vs. BOS  
2

Dallas

79 39 29 11 89 35 7 W 3-2 (SO) vs. NSH vs. CBJ
3

Phoenix

79 36 28 15 87 30 -13 L 4-3 (OT) @ CBJ  
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

Points

89

87

ROW

35

30

Games Remaining

3

3

Home

2

2

Road

1

1

Apr 9

vs. CBJ

 

Apr 10

 

@ NSH

Apr 11

vs. STL

 

Apr 12

 

vs. SJS

Apr 13

@ PHX

vs. DAL

|
|
|
POSTED ON Tuesday, 04.08.2014 / 11:28 AM

The race for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference ramps up tonight with both the Stars and the Phoenix Coyotes getting back into action. The Stars host Nashville, while the Coyotes will play at Columbus.

The Stars have a one point lead over Phoenix and own the first tiebreaker, which is regulation/overtime wins (ROW). That means the Stars can make the playoffs by tying Phoenix in points at the end of the season or, obviously, finishing with more points. In order for Phoenix to secure a playoff spot, they have to finish with more points than the Stars. A tie will do the Coyotes no good because they will lose the ROW tiebreaker.

The Stars didn't skate Monday. They are still in the midst of a tough stretch of scheduling. Tuesday's game against Nashville will be their third in four nights and then they'll play a fourth in five nights when they host Columbus on Wednesday. But the focus now is on the Predators, who come in with two days rest, riding a three-game winning streak and a little life in the playoff race. They've been a good road team this season as well, posting a respectable 18-15-6 mark away from home.

Phoenix has lost four straight (0-2-2) and has scored just four goals during that slide. Goaltender Mike Smith, who has been out with a lower body injury, practiced Monday but still is listed as day to day. The Coyotes will have had three days rest when they play at Columbus, which will be playing their fourth game in six nights but only their second in the last four. The Blue Jackets are sitting in the final playoff spot in the East, three points ahead of ninth place. They are also only two points out of third in the Metropolitan Division. There is plenty at stake for the Blue Jackets.

Minnesota defeated Winnipeg, 1-0, Monday to move seven points ahead of the Stars and eight points up on the Coyotes. The Wild, who host Boston on Tuesday, now have a magic number of one to clinch a playoff spot.

Anaheim defeated Vancouver, 3-0, on Monday. The Ducks are now within one point of St. Louis for the top spot in the Western Conference. The loss eliminated the Canucks from the playoff race.

Tonight's other games

St. Louis hosts Washington. The Blues, who have lost two in a row, now find themselves in a battle for the top spot in the West with the Ducks.

Colorado is at Edmonton. The Avalanche are two points ahead of Chicago for second in the Central Division with one game in hand.

Playoff chances

Here's a look at the playoff chances for the Stars from two sites that track those things.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report gives the Stars a 71.2 percent chance of making the postseason. Phoenix is at 28.2 percent. Minnesota is now at 100 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars a 74.3 percent chance. Phoenix is at 25.4 percent. Minnesota is at 100 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 78 52 19 7 111 43 68   vs. WSH
2

x-Colorado

78 50 21 7 107 45 30   @ EDM
3

x-Chicago

79 45 19 15 105 39 52    
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

79 51 20 8 110 49 52 W 3-0 @ VAN  
2

x-San Jose

79 49 21 9 107 39 47    
3

x-Los Angeles

79 45 28 6 96 37 31    
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

79 41 26 12 94 34 2 W 1-0 @ VAN vs. BOS
2

Dallas

78 38 29 11 87 35 6   vs. NSH
3

Phoenix

78 36 28 14 86 30 -12   @ CBJ
4 Nashville 78 35 32 11 81 33 -33   @ DAL
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

4. Nashville

Points

94

87

86

81

ROW

34

35

30

33

Games Remaining

3

4

4

4

Home

3

3

2

2

Road

0

1

2

2

Apr 8

vs. BOS

vs. NSH

@ CBJ

@ DAL

Apr 9

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

 

@ NSH

vs. PHX

Apr 11

 

vs. STL

 

 

Apr 12

 

 

vs. SJS

vs. CHI

Apr 13

vs. NSH

@ PHX

vs. DAL

@ MIN

|
|
|
POSTED ON Monday, 04.07.2014 / 10:49 AM

The Stars had a chance to create separation in the playoff race Sunday but couldn't pick up any points, losing in regulation to the Florida Panthers. So, they'll head into the final week of the regular season with a one point lead over the Phoenix Coyotes for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Stars still control their own fate in the race, but Sunday's loss means the Coyotes are back in control of their own destiny as well. 

The Stars' losses to Carolina and Florida show there are no easy wins down the stretch, no matter who the opponent is. Ditto for Phoenix and its losses to Winnipeg and Edmonton at home. But the Coyotes got a point out of each of those games, and those points have them right in the thick of things heading into the final week.

The Stars and Coyotes both have four games left and play similar schedules. Both teams play the Predators and Blue Jackets and take on a top team in the West before meeting each other on the final day of the regular season. The Stars host Nashville, Columbus and St. Louis and then play at Phoenix. The Coyotes play at Columbus and Nashville and then host San Jose and Dallas. 

The first tiebreaker, in the event the teams end up with the same number of points, goes to the Stars. That's the regulation/overtime wins (ROW) tiebreaker and the Stars have clinched that, leading it 35-30 with four games to go.

Minnesota, which holds the first wild card spot, plays at Winnipeg Monday. The Wild are five points up on the Stars and six points ahead of the Coyotes.

Chicago beat St. Louis, 4-2, Sunday to pull to within two points of Colorado for second place in the Central Division. The Avalanche lost, 3-2, in a shootout to Pittsburgh.

Anaheim lost 4-2 to Edmonton Sunday. The Ducks remain one point ahead of San Jose for the top spot in the Pacific Division. The Ducks have a game in hand, which they'll play Monday night at Vancouver. The Canucks, along with Nashville, remain mathematically alive in the race for that final spot.

Playoff chances

The Stars' chances of making the playoffs were down after Sunday's loss to Florida, according to the sites that track playoff chances.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report puts the Stars chances of getting into the postseason at 72.4 percent. Phoenix is at 27.3 percent. Minnesota is at 99.7 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars a 74.4 percent chance of the making the playoffs. Phoenix is at 25.5 percent. Minnesota is at 99.8 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 78 52 19 7 111 43 68 L 4-2 @ CHI  
2

x-Colorado

78 50 21 7 107 45 30 L 3-2 (SO) vs. PIT  
3

x-Chicago

79 45 19 15 105 39 52 W 4-2 vs. STL  
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

78 50 20 8 108 48 49 L 4-2 @ EDM @ VAN
2

x-San Jose

79 49 21 9 107 39 47    
3

x-Los Angeles

79 45 28 6 96 37 31    
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

78 40 26 12 92 33 1   @ WPG
2

Dallas

78 38 29 11 87 35 6 L 3-2 @ FLA  
3

Phoenix

78 36 28 14 86 30 -12    
4 Nashville 78 35 32 11 81 33 -33   vs. ANA
5

Vancouver

78 35 32 11 81 30 -23    
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

4. Nashville

5. Vancouver

Points

92

87

86

81

81

ROW

33

35

30

33

30

Games Remaining

4

4

4

4

4

Home

3

3

2

2

3

Road

1

1

2

2

1

Apr 7

@ WPG

 

 

 

vs. ANA

Apr 8

vs. BOS

vs. NSH

@ CBJ

@ DAL

 

Apr 9

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

 

@ NSH

vs. PHX

vs. COL

Apr 11

 

vs. STL

 

 

 

Apr 12

 

 

vs. SJS

vs. CHI

@ EDM

Apr 13

vs. NSH

@ PHX

vs. DAL

@ MIN

vs. CGY

|
|
|
POSTED ON Sunday, 04.06.2014 / 10:49 AM

The Dallas Stars moved back into the final playoff spot in the Western Conference with their 5-2 win at Tampa Bay Saturday night. They are one point ahead of Phoenix and they still have one game in hand, which they will play Sunday at Florida.

Saturday's win was big on a few levels for the Stars. First, it moved them back into that playoff spot, but the regulation win also guaranteed that they will own the first tiebreaker - regulation/overtime wins (ROW) - over the Coyotes at the end of the season. The Stars lead that tiebreaker 35-30 and Phoenix has only four games left, so they Coyotes can't catch the Stars in ROW. Also, the win earned them two points against a tough opponent to start off a stretch that will see them play four games in the next five days.

Sunday's game will be tough as well. The Panthers may be struggling but they'll be rested. It's their second game in five days. The Stars, on the other hand, will be playing on a second straight day and the game is an early start (5 pm ET/4 pm CT). It will also be their fourth game in the last six days. This will be a challenge, but the Stars really need the points to make the most of that one game in hand they have on the Coyotes. A three or two point lead going into the final week looks better than a one point lead.

The Minnesota Wild, who hold the first wild card spot, won again, defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-0 Saturday night. Last week, the Wild looked like they were faltering but they have gotten back on track and are in very good shape right now. They are five points up on the Stars and six ahead of the Coyotes.

Minnesota is 3-0-1 (7 points) over the last four games following a stretch where they lost four of five. The Stars are 4-1-0 (8 points) over their last five games after they had lost four of six games. And Phoenix is 0-2-2 (2 points) over their last four after going 9-3-1 in their previous 13 games. That goes to show how much things can change over a short time, so a lot can still happen in this final week of the season.

Vancouver defeated Los Angeles, 2-1, and Nashville defeated San Jose, 3-0, so both the Canucks and Predators avoided mathematical elimination from the playoff race Saturday night. With their loss, the Sharks remained one point behind Anaheim in the race for the top spot in the Pacific Division. The Ducks have two games in hand, and will play one of them tonight when they take on the Oilers in Edmonton.

Colorado defeated St. Louis 4-0 in a game that featured 167 penalty minutes. The Avalanche pulled three points ahead of Chicago for second place in the Central Division and home ice in a first round playoff matchup. Chicago hosts St. Louis on Sunday.

Playoff chances

The Stars' chances of making the playoffs went up with their win, according to the sites that track playoff chances.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report says the Stars have an 83.1 percent chance of getting the playoffs. Phoenix is down to 17.2 percent. Minnesota is at 99.6 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars an 86.1 percent chance of making the playoffs. Phoenix dropped down to 14.3 percent. Minnesota is at 99.6 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 77 52 18 7 111 43 70 L 4-0 vs. COL @ CHI
2

x-Colorado

77 50 21 6 106 45 31 W 4-0 @ STL  
3

x-Chicago

78 44 19 15 103 38 50   vs. STL
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

77 50 19 8 108 48 51   @ EDM
2

x-San Jose

79 49 21 9 107 39 47 L 3-0 vs. NSH  
3

x-Los Angeles

79 45 28 6 96 37 31 L 2-1 @ VAN  
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

78 40 26 12 92 33 1 W 4-0 vs. PIT  
2

Dallas

77 38 28 11 87 35 7 W 5-2 @ TBL @ FLA
3

Phoenix

78 36 28 14 86 30 -12    
4 Nashville 78 35 32 11 81 33 -33 W 3-0 @ SJS  
5

Vancouver

78 35 32 11 81 30 -23 W 2-1 vs. LAK  
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

4. Nashville

5. Vancouver

Points

92

87

86

81

81

ROW

33

35

30

33

30

Games Remaining

4

5

4

4

4

Home

3

3

2

2

3

Road

1

2

2

2

1

Apr 6

 

@ FLA

 

 

 

Apr 7

@ WPG

 

 

 

vs. ANA

Apr 8

vs. BOS

vs. NSH

@ CBJ

@ DAL

 

Apr 9

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

 

@ NSH

vs. PHX

vs. COL

Apr 11

 

vs. STL

 

 

 

Apr 12

 

 

vs. SJS

vs. CHI

@ EDM

Apr 13

vs. NSH

@ PHX

vs. DAL

@ MIN

vs. CGY

|
|
|
POSTED ON Saturday, 04.05.2014 / 12:19 PM

The Phoenix Coyotes moved back into the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, but it was a disappointing night for the Coyotes. They allowed the game-tying goal with 40.4 seconds left and then lost in a shootout to the Edmonton Oilers, 3-2. It was the fourth straight loss for the Coyotes (0-2-2).

The point the Coyotes picked up in the game pushed them one point ahead of the Stars and into the second wild card spot, but the Stars have two games in hand. The Coyotes, who don’t play again until Tuesday, have to hope the Stars stumble in their back-to-back games against Tampa Bay (Saturday) and Florida (Sunday) to keep the race close to even heading into the final week of the season.

The Stars, on the other hand, need to make the most of the two games in hand. There are four big points on the table, and the more they collect this weekend the better position they'll be in heading into the final week of the regular season when they and the Coyotes both will have four games left. How tight the race is heading into the final week will depend on what the Stars do in these two games.

Anaheim lost 5-2 to Nashville Friday night, so the Ducks remain just one point ahead of San Jose for the top spot in the Pacific Division. The Ducks have one game in hand, but the Sharks could move ahead of them Saturday with a win over Nashville.

Chicago scored in the final seconds to defeat Columbus, 4-3, and move to within one point of Colorado for second place in the Central Division.

Tonight's other games

The Minnesota Wild, who hold the first wild card spot and lead Phoenix by four points and Dallas by five, hosts Pittsburgh tonight.

Colorado plays at St. Louis. The Blues have a three-point lead over Anaheim for the best record in the West. Colorado is one point up on Chicago for second in the Central and home ice in the first round of the playoffs.

Vancouver hosts Los Angeles. The Kings are locked into third place in the Pacific. The Canucks are close to mathematical elimination from the playoff race.

Nashville, which plays at San Jose Saturday night, is also on the brink of mathematical elimination.

Playoff chances

The Stars' chances of making the playoffs went up with Phoenix losing in a shootout to Edmonton Friday night, according to the sites that track playoff chances.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report puts the Stars chances of making the playoffs at 73.7 percent. Phoenix is down to 28.0 percent and Minnesota's chances are 98.0 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com gives the Stars a 75.7 percent chance of the making the playoffs. Phoenix's chances were down to 25.9 percent. Minnesota's chances are at 98.2 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 76 52 17 7 111 43 74   vs. COL
2

x-Colorado

76 49 21 6 104 44 27   @ STL
3

x-Chicago

78 44 19 15 103 38 50 W 4-3 @ CBJ  
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

77 50 19 8 108 48 51 L 5-2 vs. NSH  
2

x-San Jose

78 49 20 9 107 39 50   vs. NSH
3

x-Los Angeles

78 45 27 6 96 37 32   @ VAN
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

77 39 26 12 90 32 -3   vs. PIT
2

Phoenix

78 36 28 14 86 30 -12 L 3-2 (SO) vs. EDM  
3

Dallas

76 37 28 11 85 34 4   @ TBL
4 Nashville 77 34 32 11 79 32 -36 W 5-2 @ ANA @ SJS
5

Vancouver

77 34 32 11 79 29 -24   vs. LAK
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Phoenix (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Phoenix would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Phoenix

2. Dallas

4. Nashville

5. Vancouver

Points

90

86

85

79

79

ROW

32

30

34

32

29

Games Remaining

5

4

6

5

5

Home

4

2

3

2

4

Road

1

2

3

3

1

Apr 5

vs. PIT

 

@ TBL

@ SJS

vs. LAK

Apr 6

 

 

@ FLA

 

 

Apr 7

@ WPG

 

 

 

vs. ANA

Apr 8

vs. BOS

@ CBJ

vs. NSH

@ DAL

 

Apr 9

 

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

@ NSH

 

vs. PHX

vs. COL

Apr 11

 

 

vs. STL

 

 

Apr 12

 

vs. SJS

 

vs. CHI

@ EDM

Apr 13

vs. NSH

vs. DAL

@ PHX

@ MIN

vs. CGY

|
|
|
POSTED ON Friday, 04.04.2014 / 10:26 AM

The Stars lost an opportunity to create some separation from Phoenix in the playoff race Thursday night with their 4-1 loss at Carolina. The loss was a bump in the road, but the Stars still control their own fate in the race. They have one game in hand and they own the regulation/overtime wins (ROW) tiebreaker by a comfortable 34-30 margin.

Phoenix plays tonight at home versus Edmonton and the Coyotes could move back into a playoff spot with a win or one point. A regulation loss would be a big blow to the Coyotes and huge boost to the Stars.

Whatever the outcome, the Stars will have two games in hand, which they will play Saturday (at Tampa Bay) and Sunday (at Florida). Once those games are played, both teams will have four games left and we will see where everything stands going into the final week of the regular season.

Minnesota picked up a point in a 3-2 shootout loss at Chicago. The Wild, who hold the first wild card spot, now lead the Stars and Coyotes by five points. Dallas has one game in hand and the Coyotes and Wild are even in games played. Minnesota, which went 2-1-1 on a pretty tough road trip, looks to be in pretty good shape right now, but have games against Pittsburgh, Boston and St. Louis on the horizon.

Chicago failed to gain any ground on Colorado in the race for second place in the Central. The Avalanche beat the New York Rangers in a shootout, so they continue to lead the Blackhawks by three points in the race for home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

St. Louis beat Buffalo, 2-1, so it now leads Anaheim by three points for best record in the West.

San Jose defeated Los Angeles 2-1, pulling to within one point of the Ducks for first in the Pacific. The Ducks have two games in hand.

Winnipeg lost to Pittsburgh, 4-2, and was officially eliminated from the playoff race.

Tonight's games

Chicago is at Columbus. The Blackhawks, playing on the second night of a back-to-back, will try to pull to within one point of Colorado in the race for second in the Central.

Anaheim hosts Nashville. The Ducks are battling San Jose for first in the Pacific and St. Louis for top spot in the West. The Predators are on the brink of being officially eliminated from the playoff race.

Playoff chances

The Stars' chances of making the playoffs went down a bit after last night’s loss at Carolina.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report gives the Stars a 70.5 percent chance of making the playoffs. Phoenix is at 31.4 percent and Minnesota is at 98.0 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com has the Stars' chances of making the playoffs at 71.3 percent. Phoenix is 31.4 percent and Minnesota is at 97.2 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 76 52 17 7 111 43 74 W 2-1 vs. BUF  
2

x-Colorado

76 49 21 6 104 44 27 W 3-2 (SO) vs. NYR  
3

x-Chicago

77 43 19 15 101 37 49 W 3-2 (SO) vs. MIN @ CBJ
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

76 50 18 8 108 48 54   vs. NSH
2

x-San Jose

78 49 20 9 107 39 50 W 2-1 vs. LAK  
3

x-Los Angeles

78 45 27 6 96 37 32 L 2-1 @ SJS  
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

77 39 26 12 90 32 -3 L 3-2 (SO) @ CHI  
2

Dallas

76 37 28 11 85 34 4 L 4-1 @ CAR  
3

Phoenix

77 36 28 13 85 30 -11   vs. EDM
4

Vancouver

77 34 32 11 79 29 -24    
6 Nashville 76 33 32 11 77 31 -39   @ ANA
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

4. Vancouver

6. Nashville

Points

90

85

85

79

77

ROW

32

34

30

29

31

Games Remaining

5

6

5

5

6

Home

4

3

3

4

2

Road

1

3

2

1

4

Apr 4

 

 

vs. EDM

 

@ ANA

Apr 5

vs. PIT

@ TBL

 

vs. LAK

@ SJS

Apr 6

 

@ FLA

 

 

 

Apr 7

@ WPG

 

 

vs. ANA

 

Apr 8

vs. BOS

vs. NSH

@ CBJ

 

@ DAL

Apr 9

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

 

@ NSH

vs. COL

vs. PHX

Apr 11

 

vs. STL

 

 

 

Apr 12

 

 

vs. SJS

@ EDM

vs. CHI

Apr 13

vs. NSH

@ PHX

vs. DAL

vs. CGY

@ MIN

|
|
|
POSTED ON Thursday, 04.03.2014 / 10:38 AM

The Dallas Stars' playoff chances got a boost Wednesday night thanks to the Los Angeles Kings, who defeated the Phoenix Coyotes, 4-0, at Staples Center. It was the third straight loss for the Coyotes (0-2-1).

The Stars and Coyotes remain tied at 85 points, but the Stars have played two fewer games so they hold that second wild card spot based on points percentage. They would also hold that spot if the games played were even due to the regulation/overtime wins (ROW) tiebreaker, which they lead 34-30.

Games in hand are great, but you have to take advantage of them and the Stars will have a chance to do that starting tonight when they play at Carolina. The Stars, who have won three straight and five of six, will play three games over the next four days and Phoenix will play just one (vs. Edmonton on Friday), so the Stars have a chance to create some separation in the race.

The Minnesota Wild, who hold the first wild card spot and are four points ahead of the Stars, play at Chicago tonight. This game wraps up a tough four-game road trip for the Wild, who have won two of the first three games. The Blackhawks will be without Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, both of whom are expected to miss the rest of the regular season. Chicago is still chasing Colorado for the second spot in the Central Division. Colorado, which is without Matt Duchene for about four weeks, hosts the New York Rangers tonight.

Los Angeles clinched a playoff spot with the win over the Coyotes. The Kings play at San Jose tonight. This is a possible preview of a first round playoff matchup in the Pacific Division. The Sharks are three points behind Anaheim for the top spot in the Pacific.

The Ducks won 3-2 vs. Edmonton last night, rallying from a 2-0 deficit. The Ducks are just one point behind St. Louis for first overall in the Western Conference. The Blues, who have a game in hand on Anaheim, host Buffalo tonight.

Playoff chances

The Stars' chances of making the playoffs are looking better and better, according to the sites that put numbers on these matters.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report gives the Stars a 79.3 percent chance of grabbing a wild card spot. Phoenix's chances are down to 23.9 percent. Minnesota is at 96.7 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com has the Stars' chances of making the playoffs at 81.9 percent. Phoenix's chances are down to 23.1 percent. Minnesota is at 95.0 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 75 51 17 7 109 42 73   vs. BUF
2

x-Colorado

75 48 21 6 102 44 26   vs. NYR
3

x-Chicago

76 42 19 15 99 37 48   vs. MIN
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

76 50 18 8 108 48 54 W 3-2 vs. EDM  
2

x-San Jose

77 48 20 9 105 38 49   vs. LAK
3

x-Los Angeles

77 45 26 6 96 37 33 W 4-0 vs. PHX @ SJS
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

76 39 26 11 89 32 -2   @ CHI
2

Dallas

75 37 27 11 85 34 7   @ CAR
3

Phoenix

77 36 28 13 85 30 -11 L 4-0 @ LAK  
4

Vancouver

77 34 32 11 79 29 -24    
5

Winnipeg

77 34 33 10 78 27 -12   vs. PIT
6

Nashville

76 33 32 11 77 31 -39    
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

4. Vancouver

5. Winnipeg

5. Nashville

Points

89

85

85

79

78

77

ROW

32

34

30

29

27

31

Games Remaining

6

7

5

5

5

6

Home

4

3

3

4

3

2

Road

2

4

2

1

2

4

Apr 3

@ CHI

@ CAR

 

 

vs. PIT

 

Apr 4

 

 

vs. EDM

 

 

@ ANA

Apr 5

vs. PIT

@ TBL

 

vs. LAK

@ TOR

@ SJS

Apr 6

 

@ FLA

 

 

 

 

Apr 7

@ WPG

 

 

vs. ANA

vs. MIN

 

Apr 8

vs. BOS

vs. NSH

@ CBJ

 

 

@ DAL

Apr 9

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

 

@ NSH

vs. COL

vs. BOS

vs. PHX

Apr 11

 

vs. STL

 

 

@ CGY

 

Apr 12

 

 

vs. SJS

@ EDM

 

vs. CHI

Apr 13

vs. NSH

@ PHX

vs. DAL

vs. CGY

 

@ MIN

|
|
|
POSTED ON Wednesday, 04.02.2014 / 10:17 AM

The Dallas Stars are back in a playoff spot due to their 5-0 victory in Washington Tuesday night and Phoenix picking up only one point in its game against Winnipeg. The Stars have won three straight and five of their last six games (5-1-0), and are sitting in that second wild card spot for the first time since March 17.

The Stars and Coyotes are tied at 85 points, but the Stars have played one fewer game so they are ahead of the Coyotes based on points percentage. Even if the number of games and points were the same, the Stars have the regulation/overtime wins (ROW) tiebreaker by a 34-30 margin.

Right now, things look good for the Stars, but there is still a ways to go. They have a stretch of five games in seven days, including four in five, on the horizon. That's some tough scheduling.

Phoenix lost 2-1 in a shootout to Winnipeg in Glendale Tuesday night. The loss means that the Coyotes don’t control their own fate in the race at this point. But that is getting ahead of things since there is a lot of hockey left, starting tonight when the Coyotes play at Los Angeles on the second end of a back-to-back. The pressure is really on Phoenix tonight.  

The Stars also pulled to within four points of Minnesota for that second wild card spot. The Stars have a game in hand on the Wild, who next play Thursday at Chicago.

Colorado rallied to beat Columbus in overtime. The Avalanche moved three points ahead of Chicago for second place in the Pacific. It's significant because it means home ice in what looks like a first round playoff matchup between the Avs and Blackhawks.

San Jose defeated the Edmonton Oilers 5-4 Tuesday to pull to within one point of Anaheim for first in the Pacific. The Ducks hosts Edmonton Wednesday, so they'll have a chance to increase their lead over the Sharks. Whoever ends up in second place in the Pacific gets the Kings in round one of the playoffs.

Vancouver lost 3-1 to the New York Rangers. The Canucks still are mathematically alive, but they don’t have much of a chance. Phoenix and Dallas would have to collapse and the Canucks would need to win out.

Playoff chances

Here's a look at the playoff chances of the teams in the Western Conference wild card chase, according to a couple sites. The Stars’ chances, obviously, are up and the Coyotes’ have taken a hit.

Hockeyreference.com's playoff probabilities report puts the Stars chances of making the playoffs at 79.6 percent. Minnesota is at 91.6 percent and Phoenix has dropped to 28.7 percent.

Sportsclubstats.com has the Stars' chances of making the playoffs at 74.1 percent. Minnesota is at 91.7 percent and Phoenix dropped to 34.2 percent.

Western Conference Playoff Race

RK

CENTRAL DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1 x-St. Louis 75 51 17 7 109 42 73 W 1-0 (SO) vs. PHI  
2

x-Colorado

75 48 21 6 102 44 26 W 3-2 (OT) @ CBJ  
3

x-Chicago

76 42 19 15 99 37 48    
RK

PACIFIC DIVISION

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

x-Anaheim

75 49 18 8 106 47 53   vs. EDM
2

x-San Jose

77 48 20 9 105 38 49 W 5-4 vs. EDM  
3

Los Angeles

76 44 26 6 94 36 29   vs. PHX
RK

WILD CARD

GP

W

L

OT

PTS

ROW

DIFF

Last night

Tonight

1

Minnesota

76 39 26 11 89 32 -2    
2

Dallas

75 37 27 11 85 34 7 W 5-0 @ WSH  
3

Phoenix

76 36 27 13 85 30 -7 L 2-1 (SO) vs. WPG @ LAK
4

Vancouver

77 34 32 11 79 29 -24 L 3-1 vs. NYR  
5

Winnipeg

77 34 33 10 78 27 -12 W 2-1 (SO) @ PHX  
6

Nashville

76 33 32 11 77 31 -39    
x - clinched playoff spot

Playoff format

The playoff format this season has changed due to realignment. The playoffs are now divisional. In the first round, the division winner with the most points will play the wild card team with the fewest points. The division leader with the second-most points will play the wild card team with the most points. The second-place team in each division will play the third-place team in each division. The wild card teams will stay in the division they play in the first round.

For example, if the playoffs started today: The Central Division playoff would have St. Louis (division winner with most points) vs. Dallas (wild card with fewest points) and Colorado vs. Chicago. The winner of St. Louis-Dallas would play the winner of Colorado-Chicago in the division finals. The Pacific Division playoffs would have Anaheim (division winner with second-most points) vs. Minnesota (wild card with most points) and San Jose vs. Los Angeles. The winner of Anaheim-Minnesota would play the winner of San Jose-Los Angeles in the division finals.

The division champions would then play in the conference finals. There is no more reseeding of teams after each round, it is bracket play leading up to the conference finals.

The Western and Eastern conference champions, of course, then play for the Stanley Cup.

Wild card playoff race schedules

 

1. Minnesota

2. Dallas

3. Phoenix

4. Vancouver

5. Winnipeg

5. Nashville

Points

89

85

85

79

78

77

ROW

32

34

30

29

27

31

Games Remaining

6

7

6

5

5

6

Home

4

3

3

4

3

2

Road

2

4

3

1

2

4

Apr 2

 

 

@LAK

 

 

 

Apr 3

@ CHI

@ CAR

 

 

vs. PIT

 

Apr 4

 

 

vs. EDM

 

 

@ ANA

Apr 5

vs. PIT

@ TBL

 

vs. LAK

@ TOR

@ SJS

Apr 6

 

@ FLA

 

 

 

 

Apr 7

@ WPG

 

 

vs. ANA

vs. MIN

 

Apr 8

vs. BOS

vs. NSH

@ CBJ

 

 

@ DAL

Apr 9

 

vs. CBJ

 

 

 

 

Apr 10

vs. STL

 

@ NSH

vs. COL

vs. BOS

vs. PHX

Apr 11

 

vs. STL

 

 

@ CGY

 

Apr 12

 

 

vs. SJS

@ EDM

 

vs. CHI

Apr 13

vs. NSH

@ PHX

vs. DAL

vs. CGY

 

@ MIN

|
|
|

SCHEDULE

HOME
AWAY
PROMOTIONAL

STANDINGS

WESTERN CONFERENCE
  TEAM GP W L OT GF GA PTS
1 ANA 6 5 1 0 21 13 10
2 LAK 6 4 1 1 15 10 9
3 SJS 6 4 1 1 20 15 9
4 NSH 5 3 0 2 12 8 8
5 CGY 7 4 3 0 19 17 8
6 CHI 4 3 0 1 12 7 7
7 VAN 4 3 1 0 13 10 6
8 DAL 5 2 1 2 15 17 6
9 STL 5 2 2 1 12 9 5
10 MIN 4 2 2 0 10 4 4
11 ARI 4 2 2 0 13 18 4
12 COL 6 1 4 1 9 20 3
13 EDM 6 1 4 1 14 27 3
14 WPG 5 1 4 0 8 15 2

STATS

2014-2015 REGULAR SEASON
SKATERS: GP G A +/- Pts
T. Seguin 5 4 4 3 8
J. Spezza 5 1 6 -2 7
J. Benn 5 3 3 3 6
T. Daley 5 3 2 -3 5
A. Roussel 5 2 1 2 3
A. Goligoski 5 0 3 -3 3
C. Eakin 5 1 1 2 2
R. Garbutt 5 0 2 1 2
E. Cole 4 1 0 0 1
P. Eaves 4 0 1 -2 1
 
GOALIES: W L OT Sv% GAA
K. Lehtonen 2 0 2 .906 2.90
A. Lindback 0 1 0 .906 3.05
 
#LONESTARSSTATE GAMEDAY FAN

DallasStars.com is the official Web site of DSE Hockey Club, L.P.  The Stars name and logos are registered trademarks of the NHL and the Stars. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2014 DSE Hockey Club, L.P. and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Corporate Partnerships | Contact UsPrivacy Policy | AdChoices | Job Opportunities | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map | Find us on Google+