StarGazing - November 6th vs Carolina
Sunday, 11.6.2011 / 1:27 AM CT / News
Dallas Stars (9-3-0, 18 points – 1st, Pacific Division)
at Carolina Hurricanes (5-5-3, 13 points – 4th, Southeast Division)
12:30 p.m. CT at RBC Center
ALL-TIME SERIES RESULTS vs. CAROLINA HURRICANES:
This Season: 0-0-0
at Carolina, 11/6/11
BROADCAST INFO: FOX Sports Southwest and Sports Radio 1310 The Ticket
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH:
1. The Dallas Stars and Carolina Hurricanes meet for their first and only meeting of the season. Dallas won both contests against Carolina last season, and have won four of their last five against them overall (4-1-0).
2. Four of Dallas’ 14 third period goals this season have come when there are fewer than five minutes left in regulation. Three of those goals have sent the game to overtime. Dallas has won all four contests when scoring a goal with under five minutes left in regulation.
3. The Stars went 3-6 on the power play on Friday, marking the first time since January that they have registered at least three power play goals against an opponent in a single game (had 4 vs. ATL on Jan.15, 2011). In scoring three power play goals, the Stars’ power play ranking jumped from 25th in the NHL to 12th overnight. Dallas has now scored at least one power play goal in three of the last four games, scoring five power play goals on 16 opportunities (31.3%).
4. Dallas killed off all nine power plays against the Carolina Hurricanes last season. Carolina has not posted a power play goal against the Stars since Dec. 16, 2009 (Ruutu).
5. Sunday’s game between these two clubs marks the first time that the Stars have played against an Eastern Conference opponent on a Sunday since March 8, 2009 (vs. Montreal). It is also the first time that they have played against the East on the road on a Sunday since Nov. 25, 2007 (at NY Rangers). Dallas went 11-5-2 against the East last season, and were tied for the Western Conference lead with five wins against teams from the Southeast Division (NSH, LA also 5 wins).
WHO TO WATCH:
RADEK DVORAK has eight goals and 22 assists (30 points) in 56 career games against the Hurricanes. Dvorak has more points only against the Tampa Bay Lightning (10-22-32). Dvorak is currently on a three-game point streak (0-3-3). The last time Dvorak had a four-game point streak was in Dec. 2009 when he posted at least one point in five consecutive games (3-4-7).
JAMIE BENN is on a four-game point streak (0-6-6).
KARI LEHTONEN - After losing five-consecutive games against Carolina, Lehtonen has won his past two contests against them. He has a 2-1-0 record with a .942 SV% and a 2.00 GAA in his last three games against them.