Down on the Farm: 12.3.11
A look at Dallas Stars Prospects
Saturday, 12.3.2011 / 2:28 AM CT / News
By Tyler Bouldin
11/25/11 @ Houston (2-1 W) – Maxime Fortunus’ second goal of the year came 4:23 into overtime to shoot the Stars to their eighth win of the season. Richard Bachman made 31 saves on 32 shots for the win, and Scott Glennie added his second goal of the season, which opened the scoring in the first period.
11/26/11 vs. Houston (4-2 L) – Playing in the second game of a home-and-home with the Aeros, Texas took a 2-1 lead in the second period when Jordie Benn notched his sixth goal of the season on the power play. Benn’s goal followed Mike Hedden’s first goal of the season, but Houston followed with three unanswered goals to come away with a split of the back-to-back games.
11/30/11 @ Charlotte (3-2 L) – Defenseman Jordie Benn tallied his seventh goal of the season, and Luke Gazdic notched his fifth of the year. Goaltender Tyler Beskorowany, who took over the starting role when Richard Bachman was called up to Dallas, made 21 saves on 24 shots, Checkers goaltender Mike Murphy stopped all 13 shots he faced in the third period to keep the Stars from tying the game.
GOING STREAKING FOUR A REASON
- Jordie Benn has a four-game point streak, racking up a total of five points (3 G, 2 A).
- Scott Glennie has four points in his last four games (2 G, 2 A).
COMING UP FOR TEXAS
Saturday, December 3: at Charlotte (NHL affiliate: Carolina)
Friday, December 9: vs. Charlotte
Saturday, December 10: vs. Oklahoma City (NHL affiliate: Edmonton)
The Stars are in the midst of an extended stay in Charlotte, North Carolina. Texas played on Wednesday against the Checkers, and will play them again on Saturday night. Travis Morin leads Texas with 19 points in 20 games, and picked up his team-leading 15th assist on Jordie Benn’s goal against Charlotte on Wednesday.
The Checkers have been on a roll as of late, winning five of their last six games, with the only loss coming in overtime. Charlotte (14-6-2) has 30 points, which is one point shy of the Oklahoma City Barons for the best record in the Western Conference.
OTHER STARS PROSPECTS
Here we take a quick glance at a few of the Dallas Stars’ prospects and what they have done recently.
- Forward Alex Chiasson has 12 points (5 G, 7 A) and a plus-minus rating of +8 through 11 games with Boston University.
- Sault Ste. Marie goaltender Jack Campbell has a 0.95 goals-against-average (GAA), a .961 save-percentage (SV%), and has allowed just two goals in his last two appearances, including a tough-luck 1-0 shootout loss to the Saginaw Spirit.
- Saginaw Spirit defenseman Jamie Oleksiak has three points (2 G, 1 A) and a +3 rating in his last five games.
- Colgate forward Austin Smith has 21 points (15 G, 6 A) in 14 games, and is second in the nation in goal scoring (1.07/game). He also has four shorthanded goals, which leads the nation. He was named Player of the Month for the ECAC with 10 points in seven games.
- Miami (OH) forward Reilly Smith is first on the team with 14 points (11 G, 3 A) in 14 games, has a three-game point streak (4 G, 1 A) and was named Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) Player of the Week for the second time this season.
- Miami (OH) forward Curtis McKenzie leads the team with 42 penalty minutes (PIM).