StarGazing - February 14th vs. Detroit Red Wings
Tuesday, 02.14.2012 / 10:39 AM / News
Dallas Stars (28-24-3, 59 points – 4th, Pacific Division)
at Detroit Red Wings (38-17-2, 78 points – 1st, Central Division)
6:30 p.m. CT at Joe Louis Arena
FOX Sports Southwest and Sports Radio 1310 The Ticket.
ALL-TIME SERIES RESULTS vs. DETROIT RED WINGS:
This Season: 0-2-1
11/12/11 – @ Detroit, 2-5 L
01/03/12 – vs. Detroit, 4-5 L
01/17/12 – vs. Detroit, 2-3 L (SO)
02/14/12 – @ Detroit
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH:
1. The Dallas Stars and Detroit Red Wings conclude their season series on Tuesday night at Joe Louis Arena. The Stars trail the series 0-2-1 and are looking to avoid being swept for the first time against the Wings since the 2003-04 season (0-3-1).
2. Dallas has killed off each of Detroit’s eight power plays in the season series and are one of two Western Conference teams the Red Wings have not scored a power play goal against so far this season (other is Vancouver Canucks). The Stars franchise has never blanked Detroit on the power play in a season series.
3. Tuesday’s game will be the 19th time in team history that the Stars will play on Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14) as well as the fifth time they faceoff against the Red Wings on this date (most against any team). The Stars have a 6-11-1 overall record on Valentine’s Day with a 1-2-1 record against Detroit. The club has not won on a Feb. 14 since 2001 (vs. LAK, 4-2 W) going 0-5-0 since then.
4. Three of the top-four highest goal scoring, Swedish-born players since the start of the 2008-09 season are slated to faceoff Tuesday. Loui Eriksson (2nd, 110 goals), Johan Franzen (3rd, 94 goals), and Henrik Zetterberg (4th, 89 goals) are each on the list. Daniel Sedin is at the top with 125 goals since 2008-09.
5. The Stars are looking for all-time win number 102 against the Wings. In fact, a victory will pull the Stars to an all-time .500 record against them and will move the Stars into a tie with the Los Angeles Kings for the most wins against any NHL opponent in club history (102).
WHO TO WATCH:
LOUI ERIKSSON has recorded at least one point in nine consecutive games against the Detroit Red Wings (7-6-13). His three game-winning goals against them are the most he has against any NHL opponent. A goal on Tuesday night would move Eriksson ahead of Ulf Dahlen for most goals by a Swedish-born player in team history(both tied at 130 goals).
MIKE RIBEIRO has notched 12 points in his last 14 games against Detroit (3-9-12).
ALEX GOLIGOSKI is currently on his second three-game point streak (1-4-5) of theseason. Goligoski leads all Dallas defensemen with seven goals this season.