Down on the Farm: 3.2.12
A look at Dallas Stars Prospects
Friday, 03.2.2012 / 11:19 AM CT / News
By Tyler Bouldin
Texas Stars (24-27-4, 52 PTS – 5th West Division)
2/22/12 @ Oklahoma City (5-1 L) – Jordie Benn scored the first goal of the game for either side, but the Barons responded with five unanswered goals. Stars goaltender Tyler Beskorowany made 16 saves on 17 shots in relief of Andrew Raycroft.
2/24/12 vs. Houston (3-2 W) – Texas scored first again, this time getting a goal from Scott Glennie. Brad Lukowich assisted on the opening goal, his third straight game with a helper. The Stars also had goals from Angelo Esposito and Francis Wathier. Beskorowany finished the game with 39 saves on 41 Aeros shots.
2/25/12 vs. Houston (5-2 L) – The Stars had goals from Brenden Dillon and Colton Sceviour, with Jordie Benn assisting on both goals, but Houston’s run of four unanswered goals sealed any potential for a Texas comeback.
NOT SO BORIN’ MORIN
- Travis Morin has 39 assists on the season, which is the sixth-best total in the AHL.
- Matt Fraser is tied for seventh in the entire AHL with 10 power-play goals this season.
COMING UP FOR TEXAS
Friday, March 2: at Abbotsford (NHL affiliate: Calgary)
Sunday, March 4: at Abbotsford
Wednesday, March 7: vs. Grand Rapids (NHL affiliate: Detroit)
OTHER STARS PROSPECTS
Here we take a quick glance at a few of the Dallas Stars’ prospects and what they have done recently.
- Rensselaer (NCAA) defenseman Mike Bergin finished the regular season with four points (1g, 3a), participating in all 34 regular season games. RPI faces Clarkson in a best-of-three series in the beginning of postseason play.
- Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) goaltender Jack Campbell battled back from a four-game absence because of flu-like symptoms with a 27-save effort in an 8-2 win over the Sarnia Sting.
- Boston University (NCAA) forward Alex Chiasson had two assists in the weekend sweep of Vermont, and has 37 points (12g, 25a) in 31 games heading into the Terriers’ final two regular season games.
- University of Michigan (NCAA) forward Alex Guptill had a goal and two assists to help Michigan split a weekend series with Bowling Green. The freshman forward has 31 points (16g, 15a) in 36 games this season
- Ilves (SM-Liiga) defenseman Jyrki Jokipakka has three points (2g, 1a) in his last three games, while also logging just under 24 minutes per game during the streak.
- Niagara (OHL) defenseman Jamie Oleksiak has 14 points (3g, 11a) and a +17 rating in 21 games with the Ice Dogs.
- Niagara (OHL) forward Brett Ritchie has a goal and an assist in each of the last three games he has played, and is now averaging a point per game with the Ice Dogs.
- Miami (OH) forward Reilly Smith had six points (3g, 3a) against Ohio State this past weekend. The junior trailed only Austin Smith for the NCAA lead in goals scored at the end of the regular season.
- Colgate (NCAA) forward Austin Smith finished the regular season first in the nation in goals (34), and third in points (52). The senior tallied points in 31 of 34 games for the Raiders.
- Saskatoon (WHL) forward Matej Stransky leads the Blades with 34 goals, and is averaging over a point per game this season.
- Ontario (ECHL) forward Tristan King had a four-game point streak snapped recently, picking up six points (all assists) during the stretch.
- Idaho (ECHL) forward Michael Neal registered a point on each of the Steelheads’ two goals against the Utah Grizzlies on Feb. 25.