Dallas Stars Hockey Academy
Learn to Play Hockey Programs
The Dallas Stars Learn to Play Hockey Programs are designed to provide the FUN and skill development a child with no skating and/or hockey experience will require in order to join either the Mini-Mites or Dallas Stars Youth Hockey League. While the primary age group focus is 4-8 years the Dallas Stars Learn to Play Program accepts participants from ages 4 through adult.
The program will be divided into four separate classes. Players must pass the skill requirements at each class/level before advancing to the next level. A minimum amount of hockey equipment is required to participate in the Dallas Stars Hockey Academy. A complete list of requirements and discounted equipment packages are listed on the reverse side of this page. Use of rental skates is included for your child at each class session.
Most players will start with Pre-Hockey or Hockey 1; however players will be placed in a class based on their ability. A Dallas Stars Hockey Academy jersey is included with the initial class enrollment for each player. Pre-Hockey and Hockey 1, 2 and 3 will meet twice per week for 30 minutes each. Players may register annually with USA Hockey. Registration includes a monthly magazine and insurance coverage. The annual cost is $46 but FREE for players 6 and under.
Register with USA Hockey at: https://www.usahockeyregistration.com (Right-click and open this link in another tab/window)
Players will learn the hockey stance and begin to learn basic forward movement. Included in this class will be the 2-foot glide, snowplow stop and the one-hand puck push. Classes are held on Mondays at 5:45p and Saturdays at 9:30am. Classes cost $97.
In Hockey 1, players will learn more advanced forward skating skills including the forward stride. Agility drills will be introduced with players learning to get up and down quickly off the ice. Stickhandling skills will continue with more advanced forehand and backhand drills. Classes are held on Mondays at 6:15pm and Saturdays at 10:00am. Classes cost $97.
At the Hockey 2 level agility becomes more advanced. Backwards skating is introduced along with the hockey stop. Stickhandling continues with both front and side movement and tight turns both with and without the puck. Classes are held on Mondays at 6:45pm and Saturdays at 10:30am. Classes cost $97.
The final level of the Dallas Stars Hockey Academy will consist of more advanced skating techniques including Alternating C-cuts, cross-over’s and hockey stops in both directions. Players will also learn more advanced stickhandling techniques plus the basics of shooting and passing the puck. When a player passes Level 3 they will be ready to join either the Mini-Mite age 6 and younger or Mite age 8 and under program. Classes are held on Saturdays at 11:00am and Mondays at 6:45 and cost $97.
1) Register your child for an annual membership with USA Hockey: click here. (Note: you will need a digital copy of your childs' birth certificate to complete the registration. An uploaded picture is acceptable.)
2) Upon completion of your USA Hockey Registration, you will be given a "confirmation number". This is your child’s USA Hockey number. You will need this number to complete the Dr Pepper StarCenter registration on PointStreak.
4) Go to the “First Time Registrant” section (at the bottom left) and click the “Create Account” button. Follow the steps on this page to create a new account. If you have trouble creating a new account, an instructional video is provided here.
5) Once you have created an account, you will be taken to an online waiver page. Read this page, click the box at the bottom to acknowledge it and then click "Next".
6) You will then be taken to a Registration page. From the dropdown menu, you will select from "Choose a Participant To Register". Your child’s name will appear in that dropdown menu. Below that, "Please select the rink you wish to register with", which will give you the rink that you originally selected. Select the class in the dropdown menu. If you have trouble with registration, an instructional video is provided here.
7) You will then be taken to the “Registration Verification” page. This will show you a summary of all charges. Upon completion, click the “Go To Checkout” button.You will then be taken to the payment screen. Upon completion, you will see a verification page. Once payment is complete you will be taken to a receipt page that you can print or email for your records.
For maximum safety and player confidence, students will be required to have the minimum following equipment for all classes.
· Approved Hockey Helmet with face mask
· Hockey Gloves
· Hockey shin pads
· Hockey Elbow Pads
· Straight-bladed Hockey Stick (not curved)
For information on any of the classes call:
Dr Pepper StarCenter McKinney
6993 Stars Avenue